The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) defines Condition Monitoring as "The process of monitoring a parameter or a set of parameters that define the condition of machinery, such that a significant change is indicative of a developing failure."
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) defines Condition Monitoring as "The process of monitoring and assessing the performance and condition of a technical system or process on a routine basis in order to identify changes that could lead to a potential failure”.
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) defines Condition Monitoring as "A process of monitoring machinery, with the goal of identifying changes in the measured parameters that indicate a developing problem."
According to a market research report published by MarketsandMarkets in 2022, the global condition monitoring market size was valued at USD 2.2 billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 3.5 billion by 2027, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.0% the forecast period.
In Bangladesh, The power generation, manufacturing, and transportation sectors are some of the key areas where condition monitoring practices are being implemented.
ICONIC Engineering is a company who are providing Condition Monitoring services with their trained engineers and precious devices such as Vibration analyzers, Thermal imagers, Oil testers, Acoustic Ultrasonic imagers & different Electrical testers.
Definition of Condition Monitoring, Condition monitoring is the process of monitoring the condition of a system or component over time to detect signs of deterioration or potential failure. It involves collecting and analyzing data from various sources, such as sensors, to assess the health
Figure: Condition Monitoring
or component and predict when maintenance or repair may be necessary. The goal of condition monitoring is to prevent unexpected downtime, reduce maintenance costs, and increase the reliability and availability of the system or component.
Importance of Condition Monitoring:
- Prevents unplanned downtime
- Optimizes maintenance
- Improves safety
- Extends equipment life
- Enhances equipment reliability
- Provides data-driven insights for optimization and improvement.
Objectives of Condition Monitoring service provided by ICONIC Engineering:
The main objectives of condition monitoring are:
- To identify early warning signs of equipment failure before it occurs, enabling proactive maintenance rather than reactive repairs.
- To minimize unplanned downtime and associated production losses, increasing the overall availability and reliability of equipment.
- To optimize maintenance scheduling and reduce maintenance costs by monitoring the actual condition of equipment rather than relying on fixed maintenance schedules.
- Improve safety by identifying and addressing potential safety hazards before they become critical.
- To extend the lifespan of equipment and reduce the need for replacement, saving on capital expenditures.
- To gain insights into equipment performance and identify opportunities for optimization and improvement.
Types of Condition Monitoring Services Offered by ICONIC Engineering:
- Vibration Analysis: This technique uses sensors to measure the vibration of equipment and detect changes in vibration patterns that may indicate wear or damage. ICONIC Engineering provides the equipment with the latest technology meets the Standard of ISO 10816 also with Tri-axis sensors.
- Thermography: This technique involves using infrared cameras to measure the temperature of equipment, and detecting hot spots that may indicate excessive friction or other problems. ICONIC Engineering has so much precious Infrared Thermometer that meets the Standards of IEC 62446, IEC 60987, IEC 60068-2-78, ASTM E1934, ASTM E1862, ASTM E1214 and can measure temperature from -40oC to 800 oC, and also have Thermal Imagers that are measuring temperature from -20 oC to 1200 oC.
- Oil Analysis: This technique involves analyzing the chemical and physical properties of lubricating oil to detect signs of wear and contamination. ICONIC Engineering provides an Oil Breakdown Voltage tester of upto 80kV, an Oil Ten Delta Tester of upto 100kV, a Transformer Oil Tester, and Different type of Lubricant Oil Tester for Oil Analysis that covers the Standard of ISO 4406 & ASTM Series.
- Acoustic Emission: This technique involves monitoring the acoustic emissions from equipment to detect changes that may indicate wear or damage. ICONIC Engineering has the Acoustic Imager which can detect upto 100 KHz from a distance of 1.6 feet to 393 feet by following the Standards of ASNT SNT-TC-1A, ASNT CP-105, ASNT CP-189, ISO 9712, ISO 12715, ISO 13586.
- Ultrasonic Testing: This technique uses high-frequency sound waves to detect changes in the thickness or integrity of materials, such as pipes and tanks. ICONIC Engineering has an Ultrasound Detector which can detect up to 100 KHz from a distance of 1.6 feet to 393 feet by meeting the requirements of ASTM & ISO.
- Insulation Testing: This test includes an insulation test of different cables. As per BNBC Standard, it has to maintain at least 5MΩ. ICONIC Engineering has an Insulation tester that can source voltage up to 15kV & measure insulation up to 40TeraΩ.
- Earthing Resistance Testing: This test includes earthing tests as per BNBC Standard. BNBC says Residential less than 1Ω, LPS less than 10Ω& Power-plants less than 0.5Ω need to be maintained. ICONIC Engineering has both Stack Type & Stack Less Earthing testers to meet customer goals.
- Electrical Testing: This technique involves measuring the electrical properties of equipment, such as motors and transformers, to detect changes that may indicate wear or damage. ICONIC Engineering has the device for the Transformer test, Leakage Current test, etc.
- Magnetic Particle Inspection: This involves applying magnetic particles to the surface of a machine and using a magnetic field to detect any defects or cracks in the machine's surface by following Standards from ASTM & ISO. ICONIC Engineering has the best-Calibrated device for particle counter and also has the ability to calibrate others as we have the Only Accredited Lab by NABL in Bangladesh.
Advantages assured by ICONIC Engineering for Condition Monitoring:
- Early detection of equipment faults or defects, enabling proactive maintenance and reducing the likelihood of unplanned downtime.
- Increased equipment reliability and availability, leading to improved productivity and reduced production losses.
- Optimized maintenance scheduling, reducing maintenance costs and minimizing disruption to operations.
- Improved safety, by identifying and addressing potential safety hazards before they become critical.
- Extended equipment lifespan reduces the need for replacement and saves on capital expenditures.
- Enhanced equipment performance, by identifying opportunities for optimization and improvement.
- Improved data-driven decision-making, by providing insights into equipment performance and maintenance needs.
Standards for Condition Monitoring:
- ISO 13373 series - Vibration condition monitoring and diagnostics of machines.
- ISO 18436 series - Condition monitoring and diagnostics of machines - Requirements for qualification and assessment of personnel.
- ISO 17359 - Condition monitoring and diagnostics of machines - Data processing, communication, and presentation.
- ASNT SNT-TC-1A - Recommended Practice for Personnel Qualification and Certification in Nondestructive Testing.
- ASTM E1417 - Standard Practice for Liquid Penetrant Testing.
- ASTM E1444 - Standard Practice for Magnetic Particle Testing.
ICONIC Engineering recognizes the importance of condition monitoring as a proactive approach to maintaining the safety and reliability of structures and equipment. With the use of various techniques such as vibration analysis, thermography analysis, oil analysis, acoustic emission analysis, ultrasonic testing, and magnetic particle inspection, potential issues can be detected and diagnosed before they develop into major problems.
Adherence to the relevant standards and guidelines set by organizations such as the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is also crucial for ensuring consistent, accurate, and reliable results. At ICONIC Engineering, we are committed to providing our clients with high-quality condition monitoring services that help them optimize the performance and longevity of their assets and help the Economy of Bangladesh.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: What is condition monitoring?
A: Condition monitoring is the process of monitoring the condition of equipment by collecting data from sensors, analyzing the data, and using the results to predict when maintenance or repair may be necessary.
Q: What are the benefits of condition monitoring?
A: The benefits of condition monitoring include early detection of equipment faults or defects, increased equipment reliability and availability, optimized maintenance scheduling, improved safety, extended equipment lifespan, enhanced equipment performance, and improved data-driven decision-making.
Q: What types of equipment can benefit from condition monitoring?
A: Condition monitoring can be used for many types of equipment, including rotating machinery, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, and more.
Q: What types of physical parameters can be monitored using condition monitoring?
A: Physical parameters that can be monitored using condition monitoring include vibration, temperature, pressure, flow, acoustic emissions, electrical properties, and more.
Q: What are some common types of condition monitoring techniques?
A: Some common types of condition monitoring techniques include vibration analysis, thermography, oil analysis, acoustic emission, ultrasonic testing, and electrical testing.